Our little cousin Melody celebrated her first birthday in high style this week. Her parents rented out the entire Waikiki Aquarium and all the guests could wander around the aquarium for awhile, then head out to the courtyard for dinner. It was a really cool idea because there were kids and adults of all ages, and everyone had a great time! There was an amazing Jellyfish Aquarium exhibit. I am trying to convince Cris to build one in our living room.

We also got our travel packet in the mail. Lots of info about all the PAPERWORK we have to bring with us. surprise, more paperwork and documents. Still no word on travel, but i am pretty much settled in for a long wait. Knowing that I will probably have a long wait to travel doesn't make it any easier to wait, but at least i don't think i'm going to travel soon, and then keep getting delayed.
Also, you guys should check out this program Celebrating Adoption. It is a group of awesome photographers who offer free photo sessions to adoptive parents within the first year of the adoption. There is a participating photographer who lives here on Oahu. I already contacted her, and let her know that we would be traveling around September, and she is going to set us up with a free photo session. The base session price is $180, so that is awesome. The prints are expensive, but I think it will be worth it to get some great pictures of our girl.
One of the attendings in my dept at the hospital is hosting a baby shower for me and one of the other residents who is due in September. She sent out an invitation, that was not so clear about the fact that we are adopting, and I can't tell you how many people came up to me yesterday and were like "you're not even showing....when are you due?" and "congratulations! how far along are you!" It's so funny because I got a lot of kind of ignorant responses when I answered excitedly that we were adopting. I think it just catches people off guard. It doesn't really offend me, just makes me feel a little awkward. anyway, I'll probably have to get used to people making silly remarks.
I have been so excited to see lots of referrals and travel dates and families united in the last month or so! Congratulations to everyone! And hang in there, Lulu and Ella's referrals are on their way! soon we will be celebrating seeing their cute little faces.


6 comments:
Thanks for sharing that site for the photos, there is a local lady here I just sent an e-mail to.
That's an amazing picture of the jellyfish! Very cool that you received your travel packet. It's just one more step to actually being on a plane to Vietnam. :)
FYI, the Vietnamese have a similar celebration at one year. Before one year, they rarely take babies out of the home even because of high infant mortality in the past. The first birthday has a specific name (which escapes me right now) and they really go all out (for them, a bit different than what we can do going all out, of course.)
Travel packet, exciting!
Ok, can I just say that that is my dream birthday party?! I doubt we'll EVER be able to afford renting out an aquarium, but how freaking cool is that?! What a lucky kid. Anyway, will anyone else from your agency be traveling to Juneau's orphanage anytime soon at least...so you can post more pictures for us and of course get an update for yourself?!
Wanted to say thanks for posting about the site for photos. I have an appointment set up in September with a local photographer! That's so cool.
Thanks for mentioning the photography! That's terrific! I love the idea of having a beautiful, candid photograph of my daughter.
Post a Comment