how bad is it that i haven't blogged in so long i almost couldn't remember my blog address. yeah, i suck. I have been crazy crazy busy. not an excuse, just an explanation. there is all this drama at work surrounding the massive deployments, and there is no staff in this crazy hospital. I am in charge of scheduling and doing all the c/sections, and unfortunately there are currently no anesthesia providers. So i can't give the ladies who want c-sections a date for their delivery, which is leading to mobs of angry pregnant women coming at me from all angles at all times of day and night. it's not fun at all.
but that is probably more than you wanted to know about that.
otherwise life is good. Like everyone else in this little bloggy world i am caught up in the gender selection thing. laurie's post was outstanding, as usual. i read her post and like 6 other posts and all the comments, so i'm kinda tired of reading about it, but i HAVE to throw in my 2 cents because i can't not have something to say. Back when the discussion was all about agency ethics I pled naivity. also not an excuse, just an explanation. I had no clue there was ever even a difference between agencies. same thing with the gender issue. When they asked if we wanted a boy or a girl we said "hmmm..a girl might be nice" so we put girl. and when they asked what age we said "hmmmm...a little baby might be nice". so we ended up with Baby Girl as young and healthy as possible. like 5 million other people.
I'm really not as stupid as that paragraph makes me sound (I somehow made it through medical school for crying out loud). and i really didn't leap into adoption absolutely clueless. i just didn't know about all of these issues. If we backtracked to October 15, 2006, and i knew everything i now know, i don't know if i would make the same decisions i made then.
If (and by if i really mean when) we adopt again we will adopt a waiting child. Suddenly gender, and even age, and even special needs doesn't seem nearly as important as becoming a family. I love that adoptive parents have the ability to choose certain things in adoption. There are so MANY MANY things that we have no control over, and leave in the hands of strangers in this crazy process, that its kinda nice to have a choice in some areas. so i don't really care so much about gender selection. In fact, one day (very soon, since it already happens in other countries) my patients will be requesting gender selection for IVF. And as of right now (although i may change my mind), that doesn't really bother me either.
in other news, we got an update today! yippeee yipeee yippeee
Juneau is 3 months old. She weighs 8lbs 12 oz, and is 22 inches long.
and she is extraordinarily cute.
and i am the luckiest person in the whole entire world.
i'm gonna be a better blogger. honest.
it's just i love reading other people's blogs so much that i spend all my free time doing that, and then i don't have any time to write in my own blog. So stop writing such awesome blogs, and maybe then i will blog more.
by the way i love babies. they are so cute and sweet. and i especially think my own baby is adorable and i can't stop looking at the picture i got today. seriously, you guys. i have to stop looking at her picture and get some work done!
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Glad to see a post from you, was worried something was wrong...well besides massive work frustration and the like.
Happy 3 month Juneau, hopefully you mommy and daddy can go to you soon!
Welcome back Emilie!
I have brought Juneau a little toy.
I will give it to her at the orphanage when I see her. I will give her a kiss from her mommy and daddy. No word on travel yet but they say we are close.....They have been saying that since April!
take care,
bev
Welcome back! I cant believe Juneau is 3 months ready! gosh time zips by!! Hope things straiten out for you at work, it sounds crazy!!
Ooooo, congratulations on the update! Pictures are wonderful things, aren't they?
I just have to ask, are these angry pregnant women wanting to schedule c-sections just because they WANT them? I mean, I know there are women who have elective c-sections (I've heard of it anyway), but having had one -- oh my gosh! I just don't get it. Give me natural childbirth without meds over a c-section recovery any day. The pain of labor is worse, but it doesn't last nearly as long. In my experience, anyway.
YAY, you're back!! I missed ya! I'd LOVE to see a little picture of the cutest June-bug (hint hint;). Happy birthday to her, and sounds like crap has hit the fan even worse at the hospital than it has on my blog. I love your take on things and know all about that deciding in the dark thing. Ummm, you think you made your adoption decisions naively?? I think I've already told you all about choosing our agency the first go-around. It went something like "oh, I love the warm fuzzy music on their program promotion cd. And look at the quotes they used and their adorable slide show. Ok, they win!" No joke.
PS: I request a blog topic authored by you...the ethics and risks of elective C-sections. From the OB angle of permitting elective sections to the public health angle of choosing them. Ok, you don't have to author that, but I think it'd be a good read!
Yay, I am so glad that you are back! I was wondering of you had an update on Juneau and here it is! Sounds like she is doing well.
Glad you are back!
While I am not a dr., I do have some strong opinions about elective c-sections and I have actually had a post floating in my head for months.
And I agree with E., having done it both ways, the c-section recovery was agony! Just curious, and this is probably a dumb question, but what do you do in an emergency if there is no anesthesia? I hope someone is there for those cases. I know of more than one occasion when they had to do a section without the anesthesiologist (did I spell that right?) and while I would do anything for my baby, I cannot even begin to imagine how horrible that would be for the patient and the medical staff.
And, since I will probably be too lazy to write the post, forgive me for hijacking, but obviously I am against elective c-sections when not medically indicated. And I am even more against the worst OB ever here on this island who does not give true informed consent and tells patients it is better for the baby (again no medical indication), when actually he just has a wedding to go to. (Seriously, he does this, I am not exaggerating.)
Anyway, I hope you get travel news soon! I bet she is beautiful!
Glad to hear from you. Baby Juneau is 3 months, where has the time gone????
Elective C-section..... I had the joy last year of having a C-section, not to deliver a baby but, to remove some "rather impressive" fibroids in my uterus (largest one being being bigger than a softball). That surgery kicked my butt, I ended up being on bed rest for 4 weeks because my body started rejecting the stiches and the incision woud not close properly(fun times!!).
My Doctor said that if I were to become pregnant I would have to have an other c-section.... No thank you, I would not want to deal with that mess and than have 2 kiddos to take care of.
I would take doing another dossier over that surgery any day!!!!
wow! hope you get some staff relief soon--I know what a nightmare that is.
I'm so glad that you are doing well and that you have more news about little June-bug!
Post a Comment