Juneau

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Greatest Moment In U.S. World Cup History?


One could certainly make an argument that this was the greatest goal in U.S. World Cup history. Now, I consider myself a fairly even keeled individual but I will gladly jump around the room screaming in response to a sporting event when it is warranted. For me this was one of the top 3 most exciting moments in my sports viewing life...

Nothing will likely ever top the excitement of the Buckeyes winning the 2003 National Championship against Miami in the Fiesta Bowl...but Landon Donovan's goal in stoppage time to put the U.S.A. into the final 16 of the World Cup rivals my excitement the night that one of my favorite fighters of all time (Dan Henderson) knocked my most hated fighter (Michael Bisping) out COOOOLD with that crushing right hand. The night of that fight, I was holding Nova who had just drifted off to sleep but when that shot landed, I jumped out of the chair and screamed so loud that I not only woke up Nova, but also woke up Juneau who was asleep upstairs.

Today, I was standing in the middle of the room on the verge of depression as the U.S. looked to be on the way to a painful 0-0 draw and be eliminated from the World Cup. When Donovan buried that shot I started jumping around the living room and screaming so crazily that the girls thought I was putting on a show for them and started laughing harder than I've heard them in a long time.

Follow that performance up with the historic match at Wimbledon between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut (which still isn't over - called on account of darkness FOR THE SECOND DAY IN A ROW tied at 59-59 in the 5th set) and today was a pretty remarkable day for a sports fan - Not used to many great sports days happening in June...

In Other News...

The girls and I are practicing for next fall when Emilie is in Afghanistan. Emilie is in Ohio for a few days for her dad's big heart surgery tomorrow so it's just me and the girls until Friday.

A few highlights from the last couple days:

Thanks to the USPS, it was late in arriving but on Monday I got the coolest Father's Day present from my girls (all Emilie's work obviously)...this cool "ABC's with Daddy" book.


It is an entire alphabet book with stuff of me, Juneau and Nova for each letter. A couple of my favorites:
"K is for Kisses" and "L is for Laughing"

My personal favorite: "T is for Tackle" - the girls' favorite game to play with Daddy. What an awesome present from my awesome wife!!

Warning: Graphic Description of Animal's Inhumanity to Animal Ahead:
This afternoon while the girls were asleep I heard a strange combination of sounds from the back yard. I went out to investigate and couldn't find any of the dogs in their normal spots...When I finally walked around the side of the house where the dogs NEVER hang out, I realized there was an extra animal in the group...The moral of the story - If you are a prairie dog, don't crawl under a fence into the yard with 2 Siberian Huskies with a high prey drive. Sherpa and Denali had the thing pinned into a corner and were taking turns pouncing on it, grabbing it in their mouths and tossing it against the fence while Summit stood 2 feet away barking and egging them on as though she was participating in the carnage...Animal Planet would have had to edit out some of the horror...

The problem at that point was diffusing the situation. As soon as I'd grab one of them, the little creature would run away a few feet before the other one pounced on it and took over the onslaught. Finally I was able to grab Sherpa and hip check Denali against the fence long enough for the poor thing to crawl to the corner and find a spot under the fence to escape. Based on how he looked and the amount of blood on Sherpa and Denali's faces, I doubt he made it very far.

After I got them cleaned up a bit, they each had a little bit of battle damage...I guess that's why they got their rabies shots last month.

Denali had the worst - a nice little scrape on his muzzle. Sherpa, the one with all the experience from years of killing mice in Hawaii, suffered only a bloody lip. Not surprisingly, Summit was untouched :)
The girls and I have been having fun playing out in the warm weather the last couple days. They both love climbing anything and everything, even to the point of making me cringe if I'm not within arms reach.
And Most Importantly:
Tomorrow morning is Emilie's dad's big heart surgery. Please keep him and the rest of the family in your thoughts and prayers...Here's to a successful surgery and an even more successful recovery for Tom!!










No comments: