Hello all
we had a great weekend hanging out together, enjoying time as our little family of two. we are so excited about little Juneau coming home, but also realizing our lives are about to be very different! We recently had breakfast with our cousins who also live in Hawaii, who have a 1 year old daughter. Their big advice was "say goodbye to movie theatres and hello to netflix". i think i can handle that.
I haven't been able to find out much about what's going on with our adoption because our case worker is currently on vacation (or something....she said she will be out of the office, but i'm not sure how long). So hopefully we will get a medical report this week. And hopefully when she gets home we can have our little chit-chat about soft referrals. I guess I've pretty much come to the conclusion that i don't think it is "unethical" to give a family a soft referral, just scary. That is probaby not the same conclusion some of you have come to, and i appreciate your comments regarding the whole issue. We have a much higher chance of something going wrong between now and when we bring our baby home, compared to someone who got a referral with a baby dossier all lined up and in order. That being said, I think there are probably lots and lots of families who get soft referrals, and don't even know it. With us it was obvious, because our baby is so young. But there are probably families who get referrals of 8 month old babies who don't yet have a dossier compiled, or who haven't completed the waiting period. I think it is virtually impossible to know (except in retrospect...and even then you still can't really know) what all has taken place on the child from Vietnam's end. Some people say if travel occurs shortly after referral you will know all was in place, but i don't think that is the answer, as there is still lots of wiggle room for unethical behavior between referral and travel. ANYWAY, i didn't mean to get back on this subject until after I talked to my agency, and then i will post a little update about what they have to say.



6 comments:
Is that a roasted dog?!? OMGsh! I've never seen a picture of that before.
Please please put a bigger warning before that pic. Ugh...
Anyway, about the referral--I think its just like in medicine. Informed consent! As long as the agency really explains the situation to parents, and the parents understand the issues with receiving referrals at different points in the process, it is OK. For me personally, I would drive myself crazy with the what-ifs and would rather receive the referral when the baby's paperwork was all ready.
I hope you get some news soon!
Tastes like chicken.
Yikes, I hope the restaurants tell you DOG is on the menu! Abbie would not be happy to know her parents ate a fellow canine!
Ok, I guess I'll be packing lots of Ramen Noodles for my trip! That is just disgusting. Kissing my little doggies right now!
Blech...hubby, and I will be eating vegetarian.
Post a Comment