yes, it's me. I survived the 8 mile run from downtown Honolulu to the Aloha Stadium. it wasn't pretty, but i lived to tell the story, so i guess that's better than the alternative. It took me about 2 hours (my athletic hubby did it in just over an hour) but i made it. I ran the whole thing, although somehow people who walked the whole thing still beat me. that probably tells you a little something about my pace. Today i am very very sore
To make matters worse, today is also my first day back to work after vacation. it's so hard. i am also 'on call' (which means i have to stay in the hospital all night), making my first shift back a 24 hour shift. which really is no fun at all. needless to say i'm in a pretty grumpy mood. but i guess i can't complain. These days there are limits to the torture residents have to take, we are limited to no more than 36 hours in the hospital at 1 time, and no more than 80 hours in a week. The 'old-timers' tell stories of 48 hour shifts and 120 hour work weeks. next year will be much better though, as i will be past the 1/2 way point.
Adoption news has been scarce, obviously. However, today my case worker did call. They have 2 infant boy referrals, and she just wanted to be sure we didn't change our mind and want a baby boy. The little guy she told me about is only 3 months. But we have been pretty set on a girl since the beginning, so i told her we would keep waiting. The referral process is so strange and unpredicatble. I thought our dossier would have to be logged in to get a referral, but i guess not. i'm not really sure. anyway, you may remember from a post awhile ago that they supposedly had 2 baby boys, and 1 girl (6-8 months). Anyway, somehow it turns out that the little girl wasn't really there. or maybe she was there but she got referred to another agency. i really have no idea how these things work. anyway, they only have 2 baby boys, no girls right now. However, they are supposed to be getting baby girl referrals in March. So we will see if that actually happens. With each month things just keep getting bumped to the next month, so Maybe March really means April. Who knows.
I joined this yahoo listserve for vietnam adoption. some of you are probably members. It gets really intense at times. Right now the discussion topics have been about agencies that require a cash donation to orphanges, and if that is unethical based on the new guidlines. Call it naive, but i guess since we jumped right into the adoption world, without really knowing anything or anyone who had done it i never even considered the idea that an agency might not be ethical. trust me, now i have been looking at everythign i can find because i am terrified by the idea that my baby girl might not really be an "orphan", and the idea of her birthmother giving her up for money is terrible. it actually makes me almost sick to think about it. It is such a tricky mess, i can't even straighten it out in my head. Anyway, I believe my agency is ethical (but then again, who doesn't?) and i don't think they would do anything wrong knowingly, but i think some people can be sneaky.
any insight on this?
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Unfortunately there are agencies out there who aren't ethical. All we can do as PAP's is research as much as possible about the agency of our choice.
International adoption is very scarey.
We need to have an agency we can believe in and one whose ethics are not comprimised. It's a tall order, I know, but we owe it to ourselves and our children to keep everything as above board as we possibly can.
Stephanie
Lots to say on this...and my views have recently changed as I learn more about my own agency. I'll email you in private if you want to talk more about it.
Anyway, sucks to be on-call your first day back at work! I hope it's quiet tonight for you.
Gosh, I can't believe they tempted you with a 3 month old little guy and you stuck to the course! I guess you've named her, made clothes for her, designed her nursery. It's gotta be a her!
Congrats on finishing the 8 mile run. Might wanna dose the NSAIDs around the clock for a few days:) Travis and I decided when we hung up the soccer boots we'd get into marathon running. I couldn't walk for 1 week after our first one, and all my toenails fell off!! Gross.
Anyway, have a good call night. Just dream of your little angel while things are slow, and everytime you deliver a munchkin into this world, think of her.
Congrats on finishing the run, that is an achievement to proud of! Hope the soreness wears off soon.
Re: ethical agencies, yes the posts about being asked to carry large amts. of cash were disturbing. I did lots of research and feel very confident that my agency is extremely ethical, unfortunately with my particular agency that also means a longer wait. (Not to say that a shorter wait=unethical). I am just thankful to be doing this in the age of the internet when PAPs and APs can easily share info.
Chirs and Emilie
I have been following your blog for awhile and thought I would say Hello. My husband and I live in Ore. and are in the authenitcation process right now. We also hope to adopt a baby girl from Vietnam.I love the name Juneau, adorable and original!I hope things move quickly for you, I know this waiting is hard.
Take Care
Tamara
ourjourneytopaige.blogspot.com
Post a Comment