So, we still don't know a whole lot yet, but we do have a little more info.
But first, some details about the moment we found out June-bug was actually coming home.
Cris, my Little Sis Betsy, and I were sitting on the couch watching TV. It was about 9 p.m. My computer was on, and Juneau' pictures were scrolling through on the screensaver. Her new pictures are so goofy because of the fakey photoshopped backgrounds. The best is the one that says "Hey Hey!!) So that picture popped up, and betsy and cris were making fun of how silly it looked, so i hit one of the keys on the computer to make the slide show stop, and my email was open, and there it was. The magical letter from Vietnam telling us to come on over and get our girl.
I called the agency in the a.m., and tried to leech myself on to the travel group that leaves in 8 days. It ALMOST worked, but in the end there just wasn't enough time to get everything coordinated on the agency's end of things. So the next travel date they gave us was June 29th, but that absolutely wouldn't work becaue Cris is defending his dissertation on July 8th, and that is totally non-negotiable. So it looks like Cris will be leaving on Jul 12th and will be gone 10 days.
So now the whole debate becomes what in the world do we do after he finally comes home with J-buggy. You may remember I will be in Michigan for a surgery rotation from Jul 1 - Aug 18. I am taking Nova with me. So I don't know if Cris should just bring Juneau home to Hawaii and I will have to wait an extra 3 weeks to meet my baby girl, or if they should make a detour through Michigan for a week or so. I of course am in favor of the Michigan detour, but that is just because i can't stand going 1 extra second without holding her. But i think it might actually be much better for Juneau to just come home to Hawaii and work on bonding with her dad. She will already be comfortable with him since he will be picking her up, and i think it might totally rock her world (more than it will be already) to have to come to michigan, meet me, then leave me, then go to hawaii, then i come back into the picture. It all sounds rather traumatic. Our agency director recommended just having cris bring her to hawaii and skip michigan. She said she encourages bonding to one parent primarily initially anyway because it is less confusing to the child.
Anyway, after such a long time of waiting, suddenly everything is happening at once:
Baby Nova is born
Baby Juneau is coming home
Cris is finishing his PhD
I am going to michigan for 6 weeks
crazy crazy summer. But i think after August things will finally start to settle down.
Oh, and Jen, 2 carseats in the Prius may indeed prove to be more than we can handle. Is a minivan or an SUV in the Stickley's future? The whole problem comes down to being totally spoiled by only needed to get gas twice a month, and not really caring about gas prices b/c we don't use much. We've looked at hybrid SUV's, but they are so expensive new, and noone is selling used ones yet....
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you guys!
WOW! my head is spinning just reading...I can imagine how you must be feeling! everything is coming together for you guys! Congratulations!!!
OMG! I am so stinkin happy for you! Crazy how things are going to work out, but THRILLED for you that your Juneau will finally be in your arms forever very soon! Congratulations!
So excited for you guys! I know you've waited for a long time for this day! Prayers that the summer will go quickly so the four of you can be together!
Wow - July 12th now cannot get here fast enough. I hope that you get back to Hawaii fast after she she comes back with her daddy!
You can do 2 seats in the Prius - we did it! And hey - I'll be in Michigan in early August. Can we meet up?! I'm so excited for you guys. It is going to seriously be a whirlwind summer but I bet it'll be the best of your lives! Congrats on many fronts!
I'm sure it will be cozy for the girls. Like you guys, we have looked at the hybrid SUV's and GASPED at the prices.
What a bummer that you won't see Juneau for a few more weeks!! Still, what girl wouldn't love a bit extra dad time??
If you find a solution to the car thing let me know! Four car seats take every inch in our mini van that I am not really liking anyhow.
So glad you've got dates and are ironing out all the details. When you have that date in mind, THE DAY you can breath a little easier.
Very exciting!
Wow, a HUGE congrats...I know you've been waiting for way too long. Stick with the Prius! :0)
Post a Comment