Juneau

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 111 / 85 To Go: Army Scheduling

Posted by: Cris

Today will definitely not go down as one of the better days of the last 111. Even though I was glad to get to talk to Emilie for quite awhile this morning, the problem was that we were discussing what to do about the fact that the Army scheduling process has moved her date to leave Afghanistan back and then back again. Her name was on a flight list to leave in the last few days of April but then it got moved back, then back again and so we are looking at her spending another week away from "home"(on top of the lengthened time from the initial "mid-april" that we kind of thought it would be). As we start to consider her not being back to Kentucky until a few days after that, it suddenely starts to make sense for the girls to wait and come back with me when I leave Hawaii right after finals. That means neither I nor the girls would be there when Emilie first arrives back on U.S. soil. Which also means I have a bigger childcare hole to fill since Nelson and Katy need to head out in the first 2 weeks of April.

But, we are working on that plan...and in and of itself, that wouldn't be a big deal for today.

In general, I handle curveballs well and am able to work through problems at work or in most areas of life and deal with things as they come. But NOTHING stresses me out more than "car problems". If there is one single area of life that I just really need to go as expected, it's my automobiles. So, when the transmission went out of the van we bought here 2 months after we bought it - and i was in Ohio at the time on top of everything else - THAT was stressful for me.

So tonight, when the girls and I go to Taco Bell and go to leave and the car I'm borrowing from one of my best friends here just won't start...that's a stressful situation for me. If anything, I'm glad it happened like it did instead of stranding Nelson and Katy and the girls somewhere because in this case, I could call Nelson (we were about 4 miles from home) to come get the girls in my truck, call AAA and get a free tow to my driveway. We'll see what being able to see the engine in daylight brings tomorrow but for the moment we are back down to 1 vehicle...and that stresses me out immensely. Pray for a simple solution.

It is really funny though how much Juneau and Nova pick up. When we got back in the car and it wasn't starting, I was working really hard to not get frustrated at their fighting in the backseat and explained to them I needed them to sit nicely because the car wasn't working (which they did a nice job). When I loaded them in the truck after Nelson got there I reassured them that Nelson was taking them home and would help them get in bed because it was super late and I had to stay with the car and wait for the tow truck and that I would come check on them in bed when I got home. They were clearly a little unsure about leaving me there.

When I finally arrived home, of course they were still awake - clearly waiting up for me - and Juneau immediately asked "Did you fix the car daddy?". I explained that it had to be towed home by a truck and you could see her process it and quickly ask in a concerned voice, "did you have to walk home daddy?" I reassured her that I was able to ride in the tow truck and that seemed to pacify her. But it was clear that she had totally grasped the whole situation and the ramifications and was concerned about it and about me...probably she could sense that it had me stressed out. As a result, they both just wanted to lay there and shower me with hugs for quite awhile...clearly happy that I made it home. It was super cute.

But, as a result of the unexpected events of the day, I find myself without a single new picture of our day. Luckily, I have saved some back for occasions just like this...so join me in a flash back in time to Ohio:
Nova had to show grandpa how to use Aunt Coral's iPod touch to play games.

Prior to leaving for Hawaii, we knew no one would get to see the girls at Halloween so we did a preview for grandpa, grandma and mammaw of Max and his Wild Thing
Outside Culver's after some ice cream:
Cuddled up in her car seat to deal with the Ohio weather:

No comments: