It's always nice to get home to your own bed (or air mattress in my current case) and your own shower and your own view of the Pacific Ocean. It is cool to see the many different scenes that can be found right outside our window depending on the weather, the time of day, the activities going on out in the bay, etc.
Today, I looked out and saw this Naval ship cruising through.
The next order of business was to go fight back the bamboo grove out in front of our house that hadn't been tended to for 3 weeks. It doesn't seem like I have to do much to stay on top of it - I generally spend 5-10 minutes once a week knocking down shoots that have sprung up and cutting a couple branches...but, when it all piles up for 3 weeks, it looks a bit unruly.
The final order of business today was getting groceries so we headed to Costco. I asked the girls where they wanted to eat lunch and of course "the place with the cookie" came up so we headed out to take Grandma to "Moe's". On the way there, Nova was talking about how she was excited to go get beans at Taco Bell. I told her we weren't going to Taco Bell but to Moe's...to which she replied "We are going to the Taco Bell with the cookie" - translation: All mexican places are "Taco Bell" and this is the one with the cookie.
In review of yesterday's travel:
1) the girls are amazingly seasoned travelers at 3/2.5 years of age. Once again, they always get at least a few compliments from people who are amazed at how well they are handling the flight, and
2) flight attendants love single dads - this is the second time I've traveled with at least one of the girls by myself (or at least what appeared to be by myself - yesterday I was sitting in a row with the girls and my mom was a few rows back) and the single dad traveling with the kid is always worth a little extra attention, extra drink offers and sneaking of extra snacks to me from the flight attendants - and always with that look like I'm a superstar.
Yes, ladies, I know it is unfair that when you are doing the "mom alone with the kids" thing it is just what is expected but when I do the similar thing, I'm a hero...and I know that it shouldn't be that way, but man did that extra pack of cookies taste good midway through the flight!


3 comments:
you are definately my superstar hero!!!! thank you for getting the girls to ohio, driving all over the state, spending time with both of our families, and getting them back to hawaii all in one piece!!!! sorry i missed you on skype tonight. i will try you again in your morning.
love love love you guys!
mommy
Any parent traveling alone with 2 little kids deserves the star treatment! Bring on the extra snacks (though a little wine would have been nice too)...you deserve them. I've traveled alone once with Ava and that was enough!
Its an ordeal just getting kids ready to go out for an hour or two but to take them on that long of a flight takes a lot. Every parent traveling alone deserves more snacks and attention!! Cris-take the superstar hero badge with pride!!
Post a Comment