Juneau

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 90: Tipping Tips

Posted by: Cris

About 89 days ago (that seems like so long), I posted that I needed to learn that everything during this six months was going to take much longer than normal and that I just needed to go with the flow and slow down. Well, tonight my failure to remember that advice and letting my type A - ness take over meant I was a frustrated parent which meant not a very good parent. It's easy to get caught up in trying to get a certain number of things accomplished in just the manner I'm envisioning and when the girls are slower getting in and out of the car than I'm expecting or playing a game with each other when they should be eating, I have to do a better job of making sure they remain more important to me than my schedule. Normally my amazing wife helps me realize when I'm missing the point. Yet another reason I will be a better person once she returns...keeping my uptightness in check (at least a little).

Juneau started out her day with uncle Nelson's homemade breakfast - crepes I think.




You'll notice that that Jessie doll is never far from Nova (and Woody is not too far from Juneau generally)

Silly games with my sister...




Nova is still doing a good job on the potty training finalization - 1 accident today but now her attitude has gotten much better about actually WANTING to sit on the potty.


Nova has been eating like a 12 year old lately...she must be growing. Maybe she'll make it out of the 30th percentile yet.

Lunch on the lanai. These girls don't realize that sitting out on a warm lanai in January overlooking the ocean isn't just the normal way to eat lunch :)

Like I said, grandma's Woody and Jessie doll present has been a HUGE hit! It is amazing I can convince them not to sleep with them.
Yes, that is taco bell in the background. Grocery shopping tonight meant dinner at taco bell. We actually haven't been to taco bell for quite awhile now that the chicken flatbread sandwich is discontinued!! BOOOOOO!!!!!
Helping daddy push the cart out.
The best thing about having Juneau and Nova with me at the NEX is avoiding being judged by the baggers at the checkout. For those of you who are military, you know that at every commisary in the country that "Baggers work for tips only". In Hawaii, the baggers are either high school kids or old Phillipino women (or there is the one guy who take his job super serious, bags perfectly and looks exactly like the performer behind the 1990 hit song "you can't touch this" - we affectionately refer to him as "M.C. Bagger"). Anyway, the old local women will gladly give you a dirty look or act snotty if they don't think you've tipped them adequately. However, if you hand the tip to a little girl who gives it to them as you leave and sweetly says "Thank you", they are so enamored of the cuteness, they could care less how much you've given them. If I can get down to where Juneau & Nova are handing them a quarter each and they still smile at me, then I'll know I'm on to something!! (I'm kidding of course, my beautiful wife has trained me to tip well, even when it's against my will!!)

"Look Daddy! It's Venus...Venus is a planet but it looks like a star." - I'm not sure she even knows what that means but it cracks me up and makes me proud when she says it.

2 comments:

Cris and Em said...

you are an amazing, and extremely patient (and very handsome!) husband and dad!!!! thank you for being the real hero of this deployment and keeping our little family happy and healthy!!! i am thankful every single day for the sacrifices you are making, and the for the way you handle the challenges of making it through every day. i love you!!!!!
love, em

Joe and Amy said...

I am moving to Kailua on Tuesday (I am in Waimanalo until then). I've talked to Emilie a few times on email when you were still in Colorado. My husband is a civilian employee at Tripler as a CRNA. I have 2 little girls ages 3 and 15 months and a baby boy due in June. It would be so fun to meet up and have the girls play.
Amy